switching from XP 32 bit recording PC to Window 7s 64 bit

tom_campbell75
Location: Center for Visual and Cognitive Neuroscience, North Dakota State University

switching from XP 32 bit recording PC to Window 7s 64 bit

Post by tom_campbell75 »

Dear Coen,

Please I would very much appreciate if you can advise us before we make any mistakes in buying recording PCs for our ActiveTwo systems with which we would acquire data with ActiView.

We are considering changing our two very old 32-bit recording PCs running XP to some new recording PCs running Windows 7 64-bit. From the precedent in this forum, it seems that some care needs to be taken in the version of LabView used and if the USB receivers are old, then the firmware needs upgrading.

Please would this firmware upgrade be necessary? The serial on the ActiveTwo ADC boxes are ADC12-05-182 and ADC12-05-181. Can the firmware upgrade be done in some straighforward way? We would like to have a backup recording PC in case the active recording PC breaks down:
If we upgrade the firmware, please, would our old 32-bit XP recording PCs still be able to function as such with the same USB receiver?
Please how do things fare with Windows 7; would it be advisable to get a XP virtual machine?

Best regards,

Tom Campbell

Coen
Site Admin

Post by Coen »

Both your USB receivers are up to date, no firmware updates will be necessary. The receivers work with the old drivers (still on your 32-bit XP machines), as well as with the current drivers (on the 64-bit Windows 7 machines). It is not necessary to upgrade the drivers and/or ActiView on your 32-bit XP computers. However, on the 64-bit Windows 7 computers, only the current USB driver in combination with ActiView 7.00 and LabVIEW run-time-engine 8.6.1 will work.

According to customer feedback, the combination of the current USB driver, Windows 7, and ActiView 7.00 works fine.

Best regards, Coen (BioSemi)

tom_campbell75
Location: Center for Visual and Cognitive Neuroscience, North Dakota State University

Post by tom_campbell75 »

Dear Coen,

Thank you very much for this helpful response. We will try it.

Best regards,

Tom.

tom_campbell75

Post by tom_campbell75 »

Dear Coen,

I tried:
1) installing the current USB driver driver [url]http://www.biosemi.com/download/USB%20d ... 064bit.zip[/url]
2) installing Actiview 7.00 :
[url]http://www.biosemi.com/download/LatestA ... 0-Vari.zip[/url]
3)installing LabVIEW run-time-engine 8.6.1:
[url]http://ftp.ni.com/support/softlib/labvi ... 861STD.exe[/url]

After a short delay, the data light on the back of the USB receiver flashes momentarily and then Actiview serves up an error 5000

Please, I remain open to your suggestion.

Best regards,

Tom Campbell.

pmac

Post by pmac »

Hi Tom,

A long shot perhaps but something else to check ...

Some new computers are coming with USB3, which Microsoft does not yet support!

Apparently these machines usually have USB2 installed as well.

Make sure that you are using a USB2 interface.

Paul

tom_campbell75

Post by tom_campbell75 »

Dear Paul and Coen,

Thank you very much for your replies. Bill Gates's shoulders are broad...
Below I document what happened when attempting installation on a new 64-bit Windows 7 machines as described above and then the analagous slightly different situation when installing on a 32-bit Windows 7 machine. Everything works fine on the old 32-bit XP machines, so it can be assumed that the fiber and ADC box are fine. All of us who have been working on it are completely stumped out here. Please I would really appreciate if you would review the following and offer suggestions as to what might help.

Best regards,
Tom.

***64-bit***

After installation on the new 64-bit machine, MSWinUsb2driver appears in the device manager when the USB receiver is connected to any USB port. I do not know if they are USB 3 ports but, I see 8 USB ports from outside the computer, with a + on the USB symbol; the plastic part of the USB port being black. In device manager, there are 2 Generic USB hubs, 2 Intel(R) ICH10 Family USB Enhanced controllers, 6 USB Intel(R) ICH10 Universal Host Controllers, 1 USB Composite device, 2 USB Mass storage devices, 8 USB Root Hubs.

What happens is a delay, 2 flashes of the USB link data LED and then error 5000.

The synctest leads to:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
C:\Users\tcampbell>cd C:\Users\tcampbell\Desktop\Windows 64bit\Windows 64bit\Dev
elopers kit\C-code
C:\Users\tcampbell\Desktop\Windows 64bit\Windows 64bit\Developers kit\C-code>Lab
'Lab' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
C:\Users\tcampbell\Desktop\Windows 64bit\Windows 64bit\Developers kit\C-code>Lab
view_DLL_SyncTest
Parameters can be, in any order:
Time to run, in seconds:
default is 600 seconds (10 minutes)
0=unlimited
Ring buffer size, in 512 byte units,
must have a 'b' or 'B' prefix:
default is B65536 for 32 MBytes
Ring buffer extra bytes beyond the 512 multiple,
must have a '+' prefix and be a multiple of 4:
default is +0 for no extra bytes

Hit any key to quit
sizeof long = 4
ring buffer size = 33554432
IN PipeType (3) not bulk (2)!
*** bsif_usb_write: acquisition thread not running after 1 second
usb_write for enable handshake trouble 997
Overlapped I/O operation is in progress.

C:\Users\tcampbell\Desktop\Windows 64bit\Windows 64bit\Developers kit\C-code>

We also used what we were sure to be a USB 2 and still failed.

***32-bit****

On a new 32-bit Windows 7 machine, I installed:

1) actiview
http://www.biosemi.com/download/LatestA ... 05-All.zip

2) labview
http://ftp.ni.com/support/softlib/labvi ... Engine.exe

3) 32-bit driver
http://www.biosemi.com/download/USB%20d ... 032bit.zip

After installation, MSWinUsb2driver appears in the device manager when the USB receiver is connected to any USB port. I see 8 USB ports from outside the computer, with a + on the USB symbol; the plastic part of the USB port being black. In device manager, there are 2 Intel(R) ICH10 Family USB Enhanced controllers, 6 USB Intel(R) ICH10 Universal Host Controllers, 1 USB Composite deivce, 1 USB Mass storage device, 8 USB Root Hubs.

The behaviour is near identical to the situation with the 64-bit machine.
What happens is a delay, 0 (no) flashes of the USB link data LED and then error 5000.

The synctest leads to this:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\tcampbell>cd C:\Users\tcampbell\Desktop\Windows 32bit\Windows 32bit\Dev
elopers kit\C-code

C:\Users\tcampbell\Desktop\Windows 32bit\Windows 32bit\Developers kit\C-code>Lab
view_DLL_SyncTest
Parameters can be, in any order:
Time to run, in seconds:
default is 600 seconds (10 minutes)
0=unlimited

Ring buffer size, in 512 byte units,
must have a 'b' or 'B' prefix:
default is B65536 for 32 MBytes

Ring buffer extra bytes beyond the 512 multiple,
must have a '+' prefix and be a multiple of 4:
default is +0 for no extra bytes

Hit any key to quit
sizeof long = 4
ring buffer size = 33554432
IN PipeType (3) not bulk (2)!
*** bsif_usb_write: acquisition thread not running after 1 second
usb_write for enable handshake trouble 997
Overlapped I/O operation is in progress.

C:\Users\tcampbell\Desktop\Windows 32bit\Windows 32bit\Developers kit\C-code>

Coen
Site Admin

Post by Coen »

The INTERRUPT pipe (code 3) message indicates that the USB receiver has old firmware, not compatible with the new drivers. I realize that I ensured you earlier that your receivers would be up to date, that's what our files were telling me. Maybe the receivers were swapped for a older replacement at some point in time because of another problem, or we made an error with programming your recievers before shipment. Anyway, sorry for the confusion. We will sent you recent replacement receivers through CortechSolutions.

Best regards, Coen (BioSemi)

tom_campbell75

Post by tom_campbell75 »

Dear Coen,

Thank you very much, that works!

Tom.