Labview_DLL

chloe

Labview_DLL

Post by chloe »

Hi all,

I am trying to load the Labview_DLL library into Matlab (version 6), but it doesn't seem to work. The library doesn't seem to have any function in it. Can somebody help me with this? I am rather new in dealing with dll stuff...

Thanks!

Chloe

Coen
Site Admin

Post by Coen »

BioSemi only supports programming in LabVIEW, because we are convinced that LabVIEW currently the is the best and most versatile programming environment for the acquisition and analysis of electro-physiological data. BioSemi has adopted an open-source policy, and encourages customers to developed LabVIEW applications, and to make them available to colleagues.

Frankly, I don't see the point in trying to duplicate our LabVIEW work in another language like Matlab or C++. In my view, valuable time and effort is better spend on building further on the proven ActiView basis. Should anybody nevertheless want to develop an acquisition's program from scratch in another language than LabVIEW, then all the needed information is available from http://www.biosemi.com/faq/make_own_acq ... ftware.htm. To be more specific: BioSemi does not provide more support than referring to the text in the FAQ, and we are not prepared to make the source code of the USB drivers available to customers.

Best regards, Coen (BioSemi)

chloe

Post by chloe »

Thank you for your reply. I feel a bit ashamed by my question that wasn't appropriate.
Best regards,

Chloe

Coen
Site Admin

Post by Coen »

I didn't mean to say that your question was inappropriate. I just wanted to express my view on your plan to develop a Matlab alternative for our LabVIEW solution. There may well be others here on the forum who don't agree with me. In other words, I tried to stir up the discussion a bit, and I am eagerly waiting on arguments pro and contra BioSemi's choice for labVIEW.

Best regards, Coen

jantzen

Post by jantzen »

Hi Coen

I would agree that matlab is not the ideal framework for developing data collection software. However, it seems to me that there may be a few practical reasons why it may be desireable to perform data collection in matlab. I dont think that the goal is ever to recreate the software from scratch. However, there are certainly a large number of possible applications - like brain machine interface - that the labview software is not suited for. As such the development of such applications requires end users to invest time and money in purchasing and learning labview, a tool that for most of us is a unitasker - namely used only for a single "one off" application. Given the tight budget constraints we are feeling in the US these days, we are happy when we can use the same tool and package for as many applications as possible. Moreover, the less time we have to spend learning new programming environments and the more time we can spend doing science, the happier we will all be.

Matlab, on the other hand, is extrememly versatile, acts as an analysis platform for a large number of EEG/MEG/fMRI processing toolboxes and it is relatively inexpensive. As a result, huge numbers of labs and campuses have invested in matlab and it has become an integral part of research as well as teaching in many departments. Students and researchers already have some level of proficiency using matlab and applications can be developed quickly, easily and interfaced with existing analysis routines.

A colleague of mine recently looked into buying a biosemi system ( I have a 64 channel system) for his research. However, he is interested in brain machine interface research, and because he felt other vendors provided more seemless access to the raw data stream, he went with a different system.

Just thought I would give you my 2 cents.

Cheers

KJ

Toycito

Toycito

Post by Toycito »

Hello everybody,

How can I download the LabView_DLL.dll?

Thanks for you help
Toycito :cry:

Coen
Site Admin

Post by Coen »

The LabVIEW_DLL.dll for the current driver (http://www.biosemi.com/download/USB%20d ... PVista.zip) is included in all downloads of ActiView (http://www.biosemi.com/download_actiview.htm).

Also see viewtopic.php?t=76. The new Beta drivers all contain new versions of the LabVIEW_DLL.dll. Please not that each set contains a different version of the Labview_DLL.dll . The name of the file is identical for all sets, but
the actual llb files are different.

Best regards, Coen (BioSemi)