Error 5002

gethin

Error 5002

Post by gethin »

Despite installing the updates I still get the error message (see last e-mail). It happens less often now (about 3 times per 1 1/2 hours) but it still happens with every participant. I have tried using a different optic fiber and this does not seem to help. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Gethin

Coen
Site Admin

Post by Coen »

It is most probably a problem in the USB port (or card) of your PC. Try another PC to locate the problem.

Best regards, Coen (BioSemi)

Julien

Post by Julien »

I have the same problem with the error 5002. But it happen every time i try to launch acquisition. Can it really be the USB port? I can't try with another machine because they are all the same... anybody has an idea???
thanks

Coen
Site Admin

Post by Coen »

Make sure that your PC has an USB2.0 port, USB 1 won't work at all (too slow). Check in the device manager, the Universal Serial Bus controller should show "Enhanced Host Controller"

Your PC has to be fast enough, minimum is a 1.5 GHz Pentium 4

Also, check the lights on the USB receiver:

- optic link data light should go on when you switch on the AD-box
- USB data light should go on when you start the acquisition

Best regards, Coen, (BioSemi)
Last edited by Coen on Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Julien

Post by Julien »

I have a laptop with XP, Pentium M 1,6Ghz, USB 2.0.

And all the light is OK as you say. I must install service pack 1 or 2? can it change anything?

Regards
Julien

Coen
Site Admin

Post by Coen »

Install Service Pack 2, it repaires several USB related problems.

If your USB receiver was delivered before before May 2004, then install the firmware upgrade from http://www.biosemi.com/download/USB%20d ... e_V1.1.zip. Receivers manufactured after May 2004 are already programmed with the current V1.1 version, and do not need a firmware change.

srwing

5002 Error

Post by srwing »

I am having the same problem with the 5002 error.

Our system has been working great for a while now, but the other day, about 40 minutes into an experiment, it crashed with the 5002 error.

I have reinstalled the windows xp service pack 2, reinstalled the Active Two USB driver and LabView 8.2 runtime. I have tried a different computer (fresh install) and different USB ports. I still get the same 5002 error whenever I try to launch acquisition.

The only thing I can think to try is to re-flash the firmware on the USB receiver, but I am wondering if it would void the warranty if I were to do so?

Windows has come out with XP service pack 3. Has anyone tried that?

Coen
Site Admin

Post by Coen »

If a working system suddenly stops working, then the optical connection is the prime suspect. Start by replacing the optical fiber.

No need to reflash the receiver, don't do it at this stage (won't void the warranty though)

Service pack 3 works fine with the ActiveTwo, but it won't solve the Error 5002 problem.

brroach

Post by brroach »

Hello,

We have experienced the same problem with error 5002 reported by srwing previously. Initially, the optic link light was off. We purchased a new fiber optic cable. This seemed to be the fix, as the optic link LED would light up with the new cable attached and the ad box power on. However, we still received an error 5002 message. So, perhaps the driver was to blame. We uninstalled and re-installed the driver. We still received the error 5002 message. We installed actiview, labview, and the usb driver on a new computer. We still received the error 5002 message. To me, this implies a problem with the usb interface, even though it has worked for over a year with no problems. Neither computer (original or second test computer) is on a network, so some new usb patch installation could not be to blame. Are there any other things to test? What could have caused this to happen?

Thanks,
Brian

Coen
Site Admin

Post by Coen »

Error 5002 (synchronization error) is a hardware error. It is caused by an intermittent contact somewhere in the digital data link. Causes can be a bad optical fiber, below spec optical out or input devices, a faulty USB cable, or a bad soldering or component in AD-box or USB-receiver.

Error 5002 can NOT be caused by any firmware or software errors (these would cause an error 5000, no incoming data). So, in case of an error 5002, do not change drivers, firmware, ActiView, operating system, firewalls, virus scanners, etc, since making changes to the software configuration before the actual cause of error 5002 is found, may only complicate matters. Error 5002 can only occur if data is acquired by the PC in the first place, so the occurrence of error 5002 already indicates that the driver/software setup is working OK.