Online streaming in Matlab?

ntp

Online streaming in Matlab?

Post by ntp »

Hello everybody.

This might be a silly question but I couldn't find any info on the forum. Is there a way to do online data analysis in Matlab by connecting it to the TCP stream of ActiView? I imagine it's feasible as I saw several LabView applications that used real-time processing of data in Matlab but I never tried LabView myself.

So is it possible? And if so, could you give me a hint as to where to start?

Coen
Site Admin

Post by Coen »

It is certainly possible to stream the data via TCP/IP to a client written in Matlab. Basically, you should copy the LabVIEW client (http://www.biosemi.com/download/ActiveTwoClient_8.zip) in Matlab, and then add you further on-line signal processing. Several BioSemi customers use this setup. In the Netherlands, the group of Prof Desain in Nijmegen has a lot of experience with this setup.

Best regards, Coen (BioSemi)
Last edited by Coen on Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ntp

Post by ntp »

Thank you, Coen, for your quick reply.

I've downloaded the LabVIEW client but I don't quite understand how to use it. The executable doesn't run as it gives an error that it can't find the LabVIEW run-time engine installed. I've installed [url]this[/url] run-time engine but to no success.

I know my way around Matlab but never actually worked with LabVIEW so I don't know how to use the LabVIEW client. Thank you in advance for your support.

Coen
Site Admin

Post by Coen »

You need RTE 8.2 (http://ftp.ni.com/support/softlib/labvi ... Engine.exe). Running the exe version of the Client is not very useful, since the only thing you can do is confirm that it works.

The idea is that you install LabVIEW 8.2, and then run the VI. You can then add your own LabVIEW code to the Client. Alternatively, you can study the Client code, and make a similar program in another programming language.

Best regards, Coen