255+ event codes, parallel port or digital IO board?

JonNeuro

255+ event codes, parallel port or digital IO board?

Post by JonNeuro »

Hello,

My lab is using the Active 2 system, and we are upgrading the stimulus presentation computer. We plan on using both Eprime and Matlab with Psychtoolbox for stimulus presentation, and windows 7 x64 as the operating system (although this is not set in stone).

I would like to send more than 255 event codes, since the active 2 system can input 16 trigger bits, I'm wondering is there a way to send an additional 8 bits through a parallel port, or do I need to use an add on board such as Measurement Computing's PCI-DIO24? (http://www.mccdaq.com/pci-data-acquisit ... DIO24.aspx#)

From scouring the internet it seems to be a mixed bag on what is able to be done. I'm hoping to find a somewhat simple straight forward solution. Most of my search has led me to understand that you can use the status and ground pins as additional outputs for the parallel port but will need to write your own drivers, others have said it can't be done. From the digital IO board, it seems it can be done but again will have to write my own drivers. There also seems to be some confusion of what can be done with lptwrite.

I'm hoping that someone here has come across this issue and found a solution, or can point me into the correct direction.

Thanks,
Jon