Install 32 bit USB drivers on 64 bit windows 7.

skmody

Install 32 bit USB drivers on 64 bit windows 7.

Post by skmody »

I am using BCI2000 with Biosemi AD converter.

On Windows XP, The 32 bit USB drivers provided on Biosemi's website work with BCI2000 (which has a component to interface with the MK2 ADC).

However I am not able to install the 32 bit driver on windows 7 64 bit. I followed the instructions given in the driver package.

The .ini "install" option does not work. For the manual option, the problem is that when I insert the USB cable, windows tries to look for a driver online via windows update. If I cancel the online update, there is no option to look for the driver locally. The driver then appears under "Other devices" in the device manager with an exclamation mark.

I then try "Update driver" and point Windows to the folder containing the .inf file. This results in windows finding the driver but it it is not installed successfully. It is unable to find some (unnamed) file needed.

Is anyone familiar with this issue. Would be grateful for any information.

Regards,
Sandeep.

Coen
Site Admin

Re: Install 32 bit USB drivers on 64 bit windows 7.

Post by Coen »

Use the 64-bit driver from http://www.biosemi.com/download/USB%20d ... 064bit.zip

If BCI2000 is a 32-bit application (like LabVIEW), then you will probably have to use the 32-bit LabVIEW_DLL.dll as packed with ActiView acquisition software (http://www.biosemi.com/download/LatestA ... 1-Vari.zip). If BCI2000 is a 64 bit application, then you should use the 64-bit LabVIEW_DLL.dll as packed with the 64-bit driver.

Best regards, Coen (BioSemi)

pmac

Post by pmac »

Sandeep,

On a 64 bit system install the 64 bit drivers, even if your programs are 32 bits.

Paul

skmody

Post by skmody »

Indeed I had originally installed the 64 bit USB drivers on Windows 7 since I wanted to check the signals with Actiview 7.01. However, the BCI2000 Biosemi module did not work with that driver (was not able to connect). I then replaced the labview_DLL.dll in the BCI2000 build with the Labview_DLL.dll file from the Actiview 7.01 folder and tried again. The result was still the same.

I posted a question on the BCI2000 forums:
[url]http://www.bci2000.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1285[\url]

One of the posters there apparently had the same issue and had succeeded using the 32 bit drivers on 64 bit windows 7.

Best Regards,
Sandeep

Coen
Site Admin

Post by Coen »

Does ActiView work ?

skmody

Post by skmody »

Yes Actiview 7.01 works on the 64 bit Windows 7.

Best Regards,
Sandeep.

Coen
Site Admin

Post by Coen »

Strange, because a working ActiView proves that the driver installation, and communication between the driver and the 32-bit LabVIEW_DLL.dll are all OK. This suggest a problem in the communication between BCI2000 and the 32-bit LabVIEW_DLL.dll.

Did you test with the latest driver (http://www.biosemi.com/download/USB%20d ... 032bit.zip) on your 32-bit XP computer?

Are you using the same (32-bit) version of BCI2000 on the 32-bit XP and 64-bit W7 computers ?

Have the BCI200 developers tested themselves on 64-bit computers, and under windows 7 ?

skmody

Post by skmody »

OK, I did get the system working on windows 7 with the 64 bit drivers. I uninstalled the (improperly installed) 32 bit USB drivers and reinstalled the 64 bit USB drivers. I don't know why the 64 bit drivers did not work the first time.

Am quoting my post on the BCI2000 forum:

[Quote]
I finally got the windows 7 system to work.
I used the following:
* Uninstalled the 32 bit USB drivers and reinstalled the original 64 bit USB drivers from the Biosemi link [url=http://www.biosemi.com/download/USB%20d ... 064bit.zip]USB driver Windows (64bit)[/url]
* Replaced the LabView_DLL.dll file in the BCI2000 build with the LabView_DLL.dll from the Actiview 7.01 folder from [url]http://www.biosemi.com/download/LatestA ... 1-Vari.zip[/url]. This is a beta version for windows 7 64 bit.

I just connected electrodes A1, A2, CMS and DRL with gel and for the moment, just to check that there is some sort of signal. The other electrodes A3 - A16 are just plugged in with no gel.

There does appear to be some sort of signal if I use the "Auto-scale" option in the signal window, but it is at 200000 muV and very small. So I'm not sure if I'm getting any real signal. I see numbers with a variation of about 20 from A1 and A2 while the variation in A3 - A6 is of the order of just 1 or 2 units.
If I use any other scaling (10 - 3000 muV), I don't see any signal at all. So I don't follow what is going on. Shouldn't I be seeing some signal at very low voltages?

But at least the Biosemi2 module seems to be working. The question is what signals am I getting.
[/Quote]

Best Regards,
Sandeep.

Coen
Site Admin

Post by Coen »

Connect a signal generator via the "two bucket test" (see manual), and use ActiView as a reference for the displayed amplitudes. Consider that signals on the ActiView display are base-line corrected (DC offset removed), and usually filtered (select suitable LP and HP settings in the left sidebar).