Quick question about bit 16 (High when new Epoch is started) in trigger status channel

Kriale00

Quick question about bit 16 (High when new Epoch is started) in trigger status channel

Post by Kriale00 »

Hello,

I have a quick question about bit 16 (High when new Epoch is started) in trigger status channel. Is there any reason to not read from a bdf file an event that has bit 16 high? I am asking, because I noticed that the eeglab programmers discard any event that has this bit high (usually the first trigger, if recordings are not paused), but I don't understand why. I wrote my own code in matlab to read bdf data (following what described in https://www.biosemi.com/faq/trigger_signals.htm) and it seems to me that all the events should be read whether this bit 16 is high or low. When I use the bdf reader to check on the triggers, I see that the output is consistent with my code, but not with eeglab.

I just want to make sure I am not missing out anything important here.
Thank you.
Alex.

Coen
Site Admin

Re: Quick question about bit 16 (High when new Epoch is started) in trigger status channel

Post by Coen »

You are right, EEGLAB is wrong. The rising edge of the START EPOCH bit just indicates the start of an epoch after the recording was paused. The high-state duration of the START EPOCH bit has no meaning.

Best regards, Coen (BioSemi)