Benefits of USB Receiver Firmware Upgrade?

dendrenn

Benefits of USB Receiver Firmware Upgrade?

Post by dendrenn »

Hi,

I was just wondering, are there any benefits to be had by upgrading the USB receiver to firmware 4.0, apart from getting it to work with Windows 10? On that note, I actually have a USB receiver with pre 4.0 firmware working with my Windows 10 machine, with the MS WinUSB2 Driver installed...which shouldn't be working based on what I've read in the forum. Any thoughts on that also?

Many thanks,
Denis

Gerben

Re: Benefits of USB Receiver Firmware Upgrade?

Post by Gerben »

Hi Denis,

The only change in the new firmware is the support for automatic driver installation.
Both the new and the old firmware will work with the MS WinUSB2 driver.
That means that if you have a Windows 10 PC with the MS WinUSB2 driver the USB receiver will work regardless of the firmware version.

The MS WinUSB2 driver is not verified and signed for Windows 10, this means that the installation of the MS WinUSB2 driver will normally fail with the message "invalid driver signature".
If you disable the driver signature verification the driver will install and work without problems, but this is not recommended.

The automatic driver installation in the new firmware(4.0) uses build in Microsoft drivers.

If you plan to use your USB receiver with a new Windows 10 PC, we recommend that you first upgrade the USB receiver firmware to version 4.0 before using the USB receiver with this new PC.
For using the USB receiver with your current PC there is no need or benefit from upgrading the firmware of the USB receiver.

Best regards,
Gerben (BioSemi)

dendrenn

Re: Benefits of USB Receiver Firmware Upgrade?

Post by dendrenn »

Hi Gerben,

Ah, I understand now thanks. I had disabled 'Driver Signature Enforcement' and installed the MS WinUSB2 so that's why I didn't have the same issues as the other posters. I may upgrade the Firmware on the USB receiver and renable that setting to make it easier for other Windows 10 users in the future.

Thanks for your prompt and informative reply.

Best,
Denis