Sleeping/floating state battery charger?

Kris

Sleeping/floating state battery charger?

Post by Kris »

Hi all,

I'm currently setting up a BioSemi EEG system. In the past, the organisation used it during one study, but after that all materials were put in boxes, were moved to a different building, and did not see daylight for over a year till I started setting it up a few months ago. Most of it is now fully functional, but I encountered a strange problem with the battery charger. I put one of the batteries in there after using it to test my first set-up, and it did what it is supposed to do: charge. Just as in the lab where I work most of the time, the green light stayed on when fully charged. Today I returned to the set-up (after approx three weeks), and saw none of the three lights was on, like a floating state. I never encountered that in my regular lab. I tried the other battery (not used during the last year), but still nothing. Could it be that after a certain amount of time the battery charger doesn't respond anymore unless hooked up to a battery that really needs to be charged? As said, the batteries have been fine for weeks (and before that for a year). I never encountered this in my regular lab, but that system is used a lot, so battery chargers are always used on low batteries (and not on full ones for three weeks in a row).

Question: If a charger works perfectly fine, but does not give any response three weeks later with the battery still hooked up, what could be the problem? No-one has access to the room but me, so during those three weeks the box did not fall or got damaged in any way.

Hope someone has a explanation, preferably a reassuring one :wink:

Kris

Coen
Site Admin

Re: Sleeping/floating state battery charger?

Post by Coen »

If all lights on the charger are off, then the charger is not working. Most probably cause is a defect wall adapter, check the output with a voltmeter (should be 9V).

Best regards, Coen (BioSemi)

Kris

Post by Kris »

Hi!

The output of the wall adapter was 0.6 V. However, the adapter seemed to be not suitable for the charger as well, since the charger needs an input of 9V and the adapter was a 12V adapter. When using a different adapter that was suitable for the charger, the charger worked perfectly fine. So indeed the adapter is faulty and we need a new one. What kind of mains adapter do you recommend? I didn't see a separate adapter on the biosemi website.

Thanks!

Coen
Site Admin

Post by Coen »

I understand from your first post that the adapter is less than 3 years old. If yes, then we will repair or replace under warranty. Please sent the faulty adapter to BioSemi.

Best regards, Coen (BioSemi)

Kris

Post by Kris »

Thanks for getting back to me so soon. I think it is indeed less than three years old. Will check it out!

Kris