Using electrodes when wet

mosullivan

Using electrodes when wet

Post by mosullivan »

My lab often finds itself in a situation where we take short recordings from participants with as little as maybe a five minute turnaround time. I would just like to clarify:

Whether the best solution is to use the same electrode set without washing off the gel?
Or is it to use the a set that has been cleaned but only patted dry with a towel?

Would water on the electrodes affect the recordings?

Thanks

Robbie303

Re: Using electrodes when wet

Post by Robbie303 »

You can actually just re-use the electrodes without washing.
Washing an electrode set while there is still gel on the electrodes, can result in a 'wattery' layer which worsens contact with the skin or with a second layer of gel. In other words: the water makes the surface of the gel very slippery.
If there is no need to wash the electrodes, then simply reuse then without washing/rinsing.

On the other hand, not cleaning the set, can result in gel all over the place, and there might even get gel inside the SCSI connector.

Anyway, I don't think you will notice much difference in signal quality between sets which are simply used two times in a row and with sets which have been washed/rinsed between the measurements. The BioSemi is giving me always perfect signals, even in de toughest conditions.