How to tell if a battery is dead

RichardSmith

How to tell if a battery is dead

Post by RichardSmith »

Hi,

Been reading a few posts about battery issues. Two of our batteries will not charge, i.e the charger never changes from he green "ready" light. Does this mean they are dead and in need of new cells? They can be turned on when plugged into the charger however. These are two that are not really in use. According to other posts that could be the reason. Shame as one of these batteries has never been used!

I've tried two different chargers, checked the blue connections and fuses.

With our remaining 3 in-use batteries I've noticed that occasionally when put on charge the charger lights go red, orange, green very quickly, then stay on green. Any ideas what that message means?

Kind regards,

Richard

Coen
Site Admin

Re: How to tell if a battery is dead

Post by Coen »

Battery packs need to be replaced if:

- They do not accept charge (charger keeps indicating "ready" when battery is connected)
- They keep charging forever (charger indicates "charge" for longer than approx. 6 hours)
- They charge very quickly, and/or discharge very quickly (less then an hour or so)

Batteries should be fully charged before storing, and recharged at least every half year. Storing an empty battery will kill it quickly (within months). Use the batteries regularly with a recharge immediately after every use, and they will last for 500-1000 discharge/recharge cycles.

Best regards, Coen (BioSemi)