Sudden Onset 5000/5001 Errors

bdornan

Sudden Onset 5000/5001 Errors

Post by bdornan »

Hi all,

As of this morning, our Biosemi ActiveTwo Mk2 system is refusing to work, with the same pattern of behaviour as here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=321&p=751&hilit=buffer#p751

however, the hardware setup hasn't been changed since the last successful recording yesterday afternoon. Any suggestions as to why this may have happened?

Cheers

Ben

Coen
Site Admin

Re: Sudden Onset 5000/5001 Errors

Post by Coen »

Check speedmode setting (should be on 4,5,6, or 7).

Check and replace USB cable.

Check and replace optical fiber.

Do you see error 5000 or 5001, or both ?

Best regards, Coen (BioSemi)

bdornan

Post by bdornan »

Hi Coen,

Thanks for the swift reply. We've had both errors appear, mostly 5000 but occasionally 5001. I've checked the speed mode setting (looks to be still set to 4, but I'll have a go setting it higher and see if it makes any difference), and I'll try an alternative USB cable.

As for replacing the optical fibre, we don't have any colleagues who use Biosemi equipment to borrow an alternative, and I'm not hugely familiar with optic fibres. Would we be able to use any OM1 optical fibre with ST connectors, or are there other properties of the cable that need to be taken into account in seeking a replacement for testing purposes?

Cheers

Ben

Coen
Site Admin

Post by Coen »

The fiber specs are not very critical:

- ST-ST connectors
- 62.5/125um or 50/125um core
- multi-mode
- any lenght up to hundreds of meters

Almost any ST-ST fiber should work.

bdornan

Post by bdornan »

Hi again Coen,

Finally managed to track someone down who was able to test the optical fibre cables. Apparently there's nothing wrong there, tried with a replacement for good measure and still not able to get things up and running. We've replaced the USB cable and checked the speed mode (4 - pretty sure it hasn't been changed since we began using the equipment, we're not doing anything fancy).

Just noticed that our error isn't identical to that described in the thread I linked to above - the pattern of error messages is the same, but the behaviour of the LEDs on the USB box isn't. The optic link LED comes on when everything is connected, when data acquisition is initiated on the computer, the USB link LED blinks once, then the error message appears on screen.

We're pretty sure it's not connected to the computer as we've tested the system on another computer with the same results.

Would the USB receiver be the next likely problem? Unfortunately we don't have access to another Biosemi system, but we do have some components from an older system which has one of the older model recievers (apologies, I can't get the part numbers at present as I'm locked out of the lab). From reading through the forums, it seems that the older model receivers aren't compatible with newer systems, but is this something that can be fixed with a firmware update, or is there no way we can get the two to play together.

Apologies for the huge number of words!

Cheers

Ben

pmac

Post by pmac »

Hi Ben,

Some other things to check:

1. Is this Windows? Are System updates applied automatically? Were there any applied overnight Thursday/Friday?
If yes, can you restore to the prior state using Windows Restore?

2. Try running the test program "Labview_DLL_SyncTest" that comes in the driver download package.

Paul

bdornan

Post by bdornan »

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the suggestions. Doesn't look like windows has updated itself. In any case, the second computer we attempted to collect data with is a mac, which I assume would rule out this kind of explanation.

Running Labview_DLL_SyncTest.exe (specifying no parameters) I get:

sizeof long = 4
ring buffer size = 33554432
GetOverlappedResult for buffer 0 returns 121
The semaphore timeout period has expired.

READ_POINTER returns FALSE -> acquisition not running!
stopping ...

Coen
Site Admin

Post by Coen »

It looks like you have carefully covered all obvious causes. I think that we have to proceed with checking for a hardware defect (main suspect is the optical receiver in the USB-receiver, but there are a number of other possibilities). Please send the AD-box and USB receiver to us in Amsterdam, we will most probably be able to return the repaired system the next day.

A further indication that it is not a PC/driver/software/firmware issue is that you are also seeing 5001 errors (besides error 5000 no data errors). The error 5001 (buffer overflow) without any data showing on screen means that the acquisition is basically running, but that you are receiving corrupted optical data. It is my guess that in case of an an error 5001, you are seeing the green pointer of buffer clock remaining fixed, whereas the red pointer circles one turn, and then stops after with error popup

pmac

Post by pmac »

Hi Ben,

I was trying to rule out software - Windows Update was a long shot.

The semaphore timout occurring on the first input buffer means that
there's little or nothing coming in through the USB.

Paul

bdornan

Post by bdornan »

Paul,

Sorry - not compaining, I'll take any long shot's you have!

Officemate pointed out that I didn't have CMS in range when I was running SyncTest before (long day, apparently losing my ability to perform simple tasks...). Rerunning, we're seeing:

missing sync 1: buffer 0, [260] = 0
sync found again at [610] = ffffff00

repeating the same but with missing sync / sync found at 870/1220, 1480/1830, 2090/2440, 2700/3050, then missing sync at 3310 and it stops due to more than 5 missed syncs.

Any ideas?

bdornan

Post by bdornan »

For the sake of anyone reading this for help with their own problems - we've retested everything one more time without any success, and are arranging to return the equipment.

Coen - Apologies, I missed your last reply first time around. I'm getting in touch with the biosemi sales email address to check details for return.

Cheers for the help all

Ben