The Use of Tap Water When Cleaning Electrodes

vanv0076

The Use of Tap Water When Cleaning Electrodes

Post by vanv0076 »

Hello BioSemi. I've noticed in other posts that tap water has been approved for cleaning electrodes, but what about if the water is visibly contaminated with iron/rust? I'm in the process of setting up a new EEG lab and the water that we would use to clean the electrodes has an orange-ish tint. Considering that I've seen other posts that advise against letting the electrodes contact metal I'm not sure whether or not this water has too much metal in it. Thanks!

Coen
Site Admin

Re: The Use of Tap Water When Cleaning Electrodes

Post by Coen »

The electrodes should be tested in clean water with a little salt (something like a teaspoon per liter). Care should be taken to not pollute the electrodes with traces of (non silver) metal. In most case, using tab water, table salt, and a plastic or glass bowl is sufficient. However, if you suspect that you local tab water is polluted with iron (or other traces of metal), than I would certainly use distilled water instead. Bottled mineral water is not recommended either.

Pollution of the Ag-AgCl electrode tips will lead to increased noise, especially at the low frequencies (high and unstable offsets).

Best regards, Coen (BioSemi)

vanv0076

Re: The Use of Tap Water When Cleaning Electrodes

Post by vanv0076 »

Okay, we will try to find another water source for cleaning the electrodes. Thanks for the help!