ActiveTwo in sleep research?

jasnam

ActiveTwo in sleep research?

Post by jasnam »

I'm curious to know if it is possible to adapt ActiveTwo system for use in sleep research. It seems to me that, compared to a classical sleep setup, it would provide a myrad of advantages for quantitative analysis of sleep EEG, e.g. better signal-to-noise ratio and more electrodes so that of certain types of activity can be examined in source space.

Has anyone already tried to do it?

Does anyone with more expert knowledge of the system have any tips on how it may work, and what would be necessary in order to ensure no disturbances or damage to electrodes during sleep. I am looking into it only as an idea, and sleep periods would generally be 2-3 hrs maximum.

Mosimann

ActiveTwo for Sleep

Post by Mosimann »

Dear Louise,

Like I have explained before, the ActiveTwo can be indeed used for Sleep Research!
1) You can purchase additional sensors for: Pleth, Temperature, respiration (made by NK) and measure through the EX inputs things like: Eye Movement (to see REM phase), chin muscle EMG and ECG

2) The battery of the ActiveTwo will last long enough to record a comfortable 8 hours sleep (use no more then 32 channels and set the sampling to low)

3) Its very light-weight. The subject can even go to the toilet, and with the AD box and notebook mounted on a trolley, its easy to port around.

4) The only dilemma would be the electrodes on the head. I would suggest, to connect no more than 4 channels on the head, 4 channels in the face and all the sensors. This way, the electrodes can be glued to the head and you would not need a cap. Having a 128 channel cap on the head and doing an 8 hour EEG would work awkwardly, since the sweat build up would probably prevent good data outcome.

hoping this makes sense, and why not give it a try!

Regards, Marc