facial EMG using BioSemi 'EX' channels_reference issue

goldfoxy

facial EMG using BioSemi 'EX' channels_reference issue

Post by goldfoxy »

Hi there,

In addition to EEG recordings, I intend to use the ‘EX’ electrodes to record facial EMG at the Corrugator and Zygomatic muscle areas. Can anyone advise as to whether I need additional references for fEMG using the extra ‘EX’ electrodes, or will CMS/DRL suffice for this measurement also? (NB I do not have any ‘Aux’ electrodes).

Kind regards,

Louise

Mosimann

Post by Mosimann »

Dear Louise,

Any measurements done with the ActiveTwo must use the CMS/DRL. In a passive EEG, you cannot just use REF and GND to measure anything either. So its the same with the ActiveTwo. If you want to measure EMG only, and not use a cap on the head, then as you say, you would have to use a separate CMS/DRL set that ends in an AUX connector that connects to the AUX 1 input of the AD Box. Once connected, you can then stick two or more Flat Electrodes onto the muscle groups you want to measure from, and collect data. Make sure to click the appropriate buttons when starting the file, since you would not record any EEG alongside.

If no CMS/DRL set with AUX connector is available, then contact myself at mosimann@neurospec.com and I will take the order for such a set. They come as either with Pins or Flat electrodes, you would definetly need the Flat types, as you would not use a cap.